Thursday, May 31, 2012

Graduation

For lack of a better term: shit just got real y’all.  Here I am, it's May 31, and my time in Romania is now limited to less than 5 weeks.  34 days.  816 hours.  48,960 minutes.  2,937,600 seconds.  How are those for countdowns?  For at least a year, all I have been able to think about was finally returning home.  And here I am, the date is set, the flight is booked, the suitcases are packed (ok, not really, but I’m thinking about getting around to it, so that’s a start), and I’m finally getting emotional.  Last week I went to the grocery store for my bi-weekly food purchasing binge and all I could think about during that hot, sweaty, uncomfortable bus ride was that I would only take that trip one more time.  Tears started coming.  Imagine my shock.  After the tears recede, relief sets in.  It’s a feeling of relief that I actually will take away positive memories of Romania and these two years I’ve spent here.  It feels good to know that it wasn’t just a waste of two years (and believe me, I thought that a lot), but there are so many positive memories that I will take away and always cherish.  

These little freak outs are happening on a regular basis now, and today was no exception.  What is so special about today?  Today just happened to be graduation.  Last year, I didn’t really get to participate much because I didn’t teach last year’s 12th grade.  This year however, I pretty much single-handedly taught English to these students (except for the 8 who spent the class preparing with my counterpart for the English BAC).  They were my teaching babies.  They were the very first class I taught on my own, and now we’ve come full circle.  Yesterday, my counterpart called to ask if I would give a little speech during the ceremony, because “they like you a lot.”  I was honored to be asked and got right to work, spending long hours yesterday thinking up the world’s next great inspirational speech.  HA.  I sat down for a few minutes, and wrote up a nice little speech.  My counterpart said it was beautiful, so I’m happy.  I arrive to school today and find out that my little speech will not be translated into Hungarian for the listening pleasure of the school and village.  Major freak out ensued.  I may not have the capabilities of Lincoln, Kennedy, or Dr. King, but my little speech was a bit formal and beyond the grasp of my students.  I thought about shrinking it down to 5 year old words for them (no disrespect, but that’s just how it is here), but decided that what I wanted to say was too big for little words.  The introvert in me came uncaged and I was shaking like a leaf!  Luckily, the video is such terrible quality you can’t see a thing J.  Video takes to darn long to upload on here, so I’ll post the actual video on facebook, check it out here.  In the meantime, this is what I wrote out:

“Today is a very bittersweet day for me.  On the one hand, I am very
happy for all of you students as you finish your high school education,
and prepare for the next chapter of your lives.  I know it is a very
exciting time for you.  On the other hand, as you get ready to leave this school,
 so do I. My time teaching here in Romania is quickly coming to an end. 
I want to say thank you to you students, who were some of the first students
I taught on my own.  Over the last two years, you grew to be, not only
some of my favorite students, but my favorite people as well. 
Thank you for making my time teaching enjoyable, and very interesting. 
I am very proud to have been your teacher. Congratulations on graduating. 
I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.”

After I gave my speech there were many others by the director, various other important people, and students.  Tears flowed freely among the students and teachers.  I even squeaked out a few, though I had no idea what was being said.  As I said in the speech, as the 12th graders are getting ready to leave school and home, and adventure off on their own, so am I.  Well, technically, I guess I already adventured off on my own.  But, I will soon be leaving a village and school that have become quite dear to my heart.  Over my service, I have made no secret of the emotional roller coaster I endured.  I have often said that I only made it through my service (errr, WILL make it through) because of my students.  I toughed it out for them because I could see how much they enjoyed my classes, if for nothing other than a break in the monotony that is Romanian teaching, and I saw how much they had improved.  I certainly don’t take all of the credit for that improvement, but I like to think that my constant barrage of English contributed.  Now my students are leaving me and I’m leaving them.  I am incredibly proud of them and what they have accomplished, and in myself.  As I told Sara earlier today, those of you who knew me when I worked at Walgreens knew the mean, irritable, volatile b**** in me.  I sincerely apologize for any misery I may have caused then, and I pray every day that I never go back to that state of mind.  I might not take credit for all of my students’ improvements, but I give them 100% credit for mine.  Even though I never plan to do this again in my life, teaching my students has made me a stronger, better person.  Leaving will not be an easy feat.  

With that being said, I am incredibly excited to be heading home in 34 days (in case you forgot already).  I look forward to a busy, but brief summer before heading to Milwaukee for graduate school at Marquette University.  I am already starting to pencil dates in, so if you want a piece of me while I’m still home (something I highly recommend) let me know!  I have had two years of alone time, and that’s even more than an introvert like me can handle!  As my time here ends, I will surely have more to post, so stay tuned! 
The new German volunteer (he's only here for a few weeks) speaking to the students.

Part of the crowd


No comments:

Post a Comment